C.H.S. Sattler was the son of Hubert Sattler, a Professor of Ophthalmology in universities in Giessen, Erlangen, Prague and finally Leipzig. C.H.S. Sattler became Professor of Ophthalmology and Director of the Ophthalmology clinic at the Elisabeth Hospital in Konigsberg in East Prussia. In 1916 he presented the case of a patient who had been fitted using a blown Muller shell and began using Zeiss lenses in 1931. In 1935 Sattler gave a paper on the use of contact lenses and described the objective signs of intolerance to contact lens wear, particularly ‘the haze like tobacco smoke’ that clouded the vision after a few hours of lens wear, now known as Sattler’s Veil but first described by Fick.