CONTACT LENS HISTORY
THE UK PIONEERS
Edmund Albert Plaice originally worked at Hamblins in
Edmund Plaice's certificate from the Institute of Optical Science
Plaice, who had both the FBOA and FSMC qualifications, left Clement Clarke in 1945 to start his own laboratory. His contributions to contact lenses included the ptosis prop, the contact lens foreign body locator and the lead eye protector from x-rays. Together with Treissman he published Principles of the Contact Lens in 1946, a small book "intended primarily for the use of ophthalmologists."
Plaice predominantly used the impression method and in 1949
he accepted the invitation to run the contact lens department at
[ Back to Pioneers ] [ Back to Front Page ]